It’s that time of the year again. The time of the year when people are frantically organising where they will be at midnight on the 31st of December and deciding on their new year resolutions.
It is also a time to reflect on the past year.
The year 2012 was such a spectacular year for us that I don’t know how it will ever be topped. We celebrated the 2012 New Year knee deep in mud at Coro Gold music festival in New Zealand. Then, over the past year we got married and left our comfortable jobs in Brisbane and embarked on an overseas adventure of a lifetime! Despite a broken foot and stolen passports, we have had an incredible adventure so far.
During the past year I have already crossed many things off my bucket list. Earlier this year I gambled at The Venetian and got married (again) in Las Vegas, bathed in Icelandic hot springs, rode a cable car in San Francisco, stood at the foot of the Statue of Liberty, drove a red convertible Mustang across the US desert, walked along Hollywood Boulevard, witnessed the Aussie men’s volleyball team defeat Great Brittan at the 2012 London Olympic Games, ‘strolled’ through the gardens of Chatswood House (Pemberley in the 2005 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice), and attended a Cirque du Soleil Show.
On previous holidays I toured the Roman Forum and Colosseum (January 2010), rode an elephant in Thailand (February 2011), visited Stonehenge (December 2009), strolled through Green Gables of L.M Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edward Island in Canada (May 2011), and witnessed monkeys pickpocketing tourists in Bali’s Monkey Forrest (February 2008).
But there is still so much that I want to see and do! So, I have created my ultimate bucket list.
The list may not be complete yet, but at least it is a start. I am open to suggestions and ideas, so please let me know what you have on your own bucket list and feel free to let me know what you think I should add to mine.
For my (long term) New Year’s resolution I want to cross off at least 5 things from my bucket list each year.
1. Road trip Route 66 in the USA
2. Float in the Dead Sea
3. Motorbike in Vietnam
4. Volunteer in a foreign country (at an orphanage, school, conservation project, hospital, dig a well)
5. Surf in Hawaii
Go on a Hot Air Balloon ride at sunrise (Cappadocia, April 2014)
7. Eat moose in Canada
8. Hike a glacier
9. Climb the jungle pyramids, Palenque, Mexico
10. Swim with dolphins
11. Ride a gondola in Venice, Italy
12. Go on a cruise
Drink beer and dance on the tables in a Munich beer hall (May 2014)
14. See the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue and party at the Rio Carnival in Rio de Janeiro
Attend a minute’s silence on ANZAC day on the Gallipoli Peninsula (April 2014)
16. Ride a jetski
17. Ski in the French Alps (January 2013)
18. Sail Croatia or Greek Islands
19. See a tornado in tornado valley, USA
20. Take a cooking class in Tuscany, Italy
21. See the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)
22. See the Milky Way from the Mackenzie Basin, New Zealand
Drink tea from a market in Turkey (April 2014)
24. Trek the Inca trail in Peru and visit Machu Picchu
25. Go on a Segway tour
26. Learn a foreign language enough to have a conversation with a local in a country where it is spoken
27. See the Yosemite peaks in California, United States
28. Go on an African safari at the Masai Mara National Reserve (Kenya)
29. Have sushi on the docks of Japan
30. Celebrate St Patrick’s Day in Ireland
31. Have an authentic Korean BBQ, in South Korea
32. Visit the Old City in Jerusalem
33. Learn the tango or salsa in South America
34. Attend a football (soccer) match at a FIFA World Cup
35. Snorkle in the Great Barrier Reef
36. Cage dive with Great White sharks in South Africa
37. Jog on the Great Wall of China
38. Smoke a freshly rolled cigar in Cuba
39. Experience the Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong
40. Be a postman for a day in Coober Pedy, South Australia (620km route)
41. Watch the sunrise at Borobudur, Java, Indonesia
42. Kayak or white water rafting in New Zealand
43. Climb a volcano (Pacaya in Guatemala, Central America)
44. Drive the Great Ocean Road
45. Eat in a Michelin Star restaurant
46. Climb a mountain (The Andes, Mount Everest, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Elbrus, Mount Kosciuszko etc.)
47. Watch a cricket match at Lord’s
48. Drink Absinthe in Czech Republic
49. Put a toe in the Ganges River during the holy Purna Kumbh Mela
50. See in the New Year on Sydney Harbour
Couchsurf (With Quinten in Brussels, June 2014)
52. Watch the sun set at Uluru and complete the base walk
53. See the Taj Mahal in India
54. Visit Jordan’s ancient archaeological city, Petra
55. Stay in an Overwater Bungalow in Bora Bora, Tahiti
56. Swim in Devil’s Pool above Victoria Falls, Zambia
57. Drink vodka on the Trans-Siberian Railway
58. Set foot on all 7 continents (Asia in 2008 & 2011, Europe in 2010, 2012 & 2013, North America in 2011 & 2012, Africa in 2013…)
59. Attend running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain (7th July 2013) 60. Explore the Great Pyramid and see the Sphinx in Egypt (March 2013)
61. Visit the Auschwitz Concentration Camp around the town of Oswiecim of modern-day Poland
62. Photograph the giant, monolithic figures, dubbed ‘Moai‘, on Easter Island
63. Be in a movie
64. Write a book
What’s on your bucket list??
Do you have any suggestions for me??
First Published on: Dec 30, 2012 @ 14:11 #12monthhoneymoon